- Combined Authority’s funding and support for training to meet their overall home building and infrastructure strategies – Shaun Hall, West Midlands Combined Authority and DfE funding via Construction Skills Hubs – Lorraine Gregory, CITB Partnerships team and Shaun Hall, West Midlands Combined Authority http://bach.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/Presentation-on-190319-at-10.00-Lorraine-Gregory-and-Shaun-Hall.pptx
- LEPs role in meeting their area’s housing and construction skills needs – Richard Kirkland, D2N2 http://bach.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/Presentation-on-190319-at-09.40-Richard-Kirkland.pptx
- Carl Hassell, Group Training Manager, Roger Bullivant Limited http://bach.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/Presentation-on-190319-at-11.25-Carl-Hassell.pptx
- New website showcase Jo Parker NOCN/Engage http://bach.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/BACH-website-update-Presentation-slides-JP.pptx
- Inspections and OFSTED, Ken O’Connell Ken has requested we also share his Quiz and Task
- http://bach.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/Training-March-19.pptx http://bach.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/Task-1-etc-Version-2.docx http://bach.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/Ofsted-Quiz-March-2019.docx
- Dudley College’s experience with skilling for off-site manufacturing – Sean Hunt, Dudley College and Mick Pettitt / Brian Maunder, Totally Modular Ltd At present we cannot upload Sean Hunt’s video.
- David Linderman, Laing O’Rourke has decided not to share his presentation
- CITB off-site manufacturing short courses project – Mark Buckton, NOCN http://bach.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/NOCN-Offsite-Manufacturing-Mar-19-Mark-Buckton.pptx
- BACH the next 2 years strategic plan – Dave Wilkins. Regions, Dates and programme for National Development Day and National Annual Conference http://bach.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/BACH-conference-membership-presentation-March-2019.pptx
- The Future of Construction Training: to meet employers requirements and House Targets. Summary of what is happening across the UK – Graham Hasting-Evans, BACH’s President http://bach.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/NOCN-Group-Intro-for-BACH.pptx
- Home Building Skills Partnership frameworks NEXT STEPS http://bach.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/Presentation-on-180319-at-09.20-Tracey-Hill.pptx
- CITB Brickwork Intervention Project – Steve Walker, CITB http://bach.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/Presentation-on-180319-at-09.40-Steve-Walker.pptx
- Apprenticeship Standards update and CSCS Cards – Neil Hartis MBE, CITB http://bach.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/Presentation-on-180319-at-11.00-Neil-Hartis.pptx
- National Retraining Scheme -Michael Carney, DfE http://bach.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/Presentation-on-180319-at-11.30-Michael-Carney.pptx
- Qualification Reform in the Construction and the Built Environment sector in Wales – Dr Daniel Tromans, Qualifications Waleshttp://bach.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/Presentation-on-180319-at-12.00-Daniel-Tromans.pptx
Download the Presentation for the BACH 2019 Annual Conference. http://bach.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/Ken-OConnell-Derby-March-19.pptx
DfE has announced that it will be reviewing the future and funding of 16 – 19 qualifications for L3 and below,
The statement says the Government is consulting on: http://bach.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/Press-release-consultation-19-March.pdf
- only providing public funding for qualifications that meet key criteria on quality, purpose, necessity and progression, and
- not providing public funding for qualifications for 16 to 19 year olds that overlap with T Levels or A Levels.
There will be a 12 week consultation period.
This could have a major impact for BACH members and we would be grateful if you could email views to the President, Chair and Vice- Chair. We will then prepare a BACH Submission.
Hold Sunday 17 March to Tuesday 19 March for the BACH National Conference. The venue is The Midland Hotel in the centre of Derby. It is next door to the Station. For those driving it is close to the M1 and has parking on site.
We are holding the member’s rate once again at £450 for the complete package.
Book the time out of the college today and make sure your manager and colleagues know you are Joining the Best informed Construction Heads
We will be sending out the presenters details as they are confirmed.
Following from our very successful National Development Day in November the programme will focus on Inspections and the challenges that Heads across England and Wales are facing. This year more time will be given to members to question the panels of expert presenters.
We welcome input with recommendations of presenters and/or subject we could cover.
Please forward this email on to potential members and others who manage Construction Training in Colleges, Universities and the private sector.
|Stuart Crabb, Curriculum Performance Manager – Construction, Doncaster College and University Centre has asked BACH to Pass on this extra information to Members with the comment below.
Not sure if it’s common knowledge yet about the other frameworks closing for registrations in the middle of next year. Please pass out the attached to the BACH members.
Please find below an update from CITB on the last day for registrations onto SASE Apprenticeship Frameworks at Intermediate (Level 2) and Advanced (Level 3):
Neil Hartis CITB’s Standards and Qualifications Policy Manager supplies BACH with update information on the Framework withdrawal for Carpentry and Joinery.
The new Standard for Carpentry and Joinery at Level 2 (£12,000 funding band) is available from September 2018; this covers Site Carpentry and Architectural Joinery.
The Framework pathway for Site Carpentry and Bench Joinery at Intermediate Level 2) will close for registrations on 31 December 2018.
The new Standard for Advanced Carpentry and Joinery at Level 3 (£9,000 funding band) is available from September 2018; this covers Site Carpentry and Architectural Joinery.
The Framework pathway for Site Carpentry and Bench Joinery Advanced Level 3) will close for registrations on 31 December 2018.
Robert Nitsch Chief Operating Officer at Institute for Apprenticeships gave an overview of the Institute’s work. This was followed by an in-depth question, answer and discussion. Rob took some points on board and agree to investigate. BACH will invite him back to share the progress the Institute under his leadership is making to solve some of the challenges BACH members are facing.
His presentation is available here Rob Nitsch web PRESENTATION – BACH 21 Nov 18
Chris Bealey digs down into what inspectors are looking for at the BACH National Development Day 2018
Ofsted inspections are rarely straightforward and proving your team is assisting its students sometimes feels impossible. Chris spent the afternoon at the BACH National Development Day 21 Nov 2918 helping the Best Informed Construction Heads question many parts of their inspection planning. We have included a link to his presentation, but we are sure those who attended will confirm being there added so much more than a presentation can do. inspectionsChris Bealey at BACH
At the National College High Speed Rail in Birmingham Neil Hartis CITB presented an update on Apprentice Standards. Click his PowerPoint presentation link Neil Hartis BACH Conference Nov 18
Join the Best Informed Construction Heads. More info email@example.com
Join the best informed Construction Heads at the
BACH NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT DAY CPD
FE Construction Training An in-depth experts’ view of the 2019 challenges. Including Apprenticeships, T Levels & OFSTED Inspections
Programme subject to change as we confirm the final timings for presenters
Wednesday 21 November 2018
National College for High Speed Rail
2 Lister Street, Birmingham, B7 4AG
Day Package Price £100 for members
£165 for non-members include 1 months membership of BACH
Free place for each college* Second member £50*
First come first booked we are holding 80 places
*Only valid where the college membership is valid and paid. Must be booked before 13 November, not valid without a confirmed booking.
FE Construction Training
An in-depth experts’ view of the 2019 challenges
Including Apprenticeships, T Levels & OFSTED Inspections
08.45 to 09.45 Members only
WEDNESDAY 21 NOVEMBER 2018
Development Day – programme subject to change
09.50 to 09.55 Conference Welcome from our new President Graham Hastings-Evans
09.55 to 10.05 Sector Overview including England and Wales Policies, Chair
10.05 to 10.30 Sector update on Apprenticeship Standards, Neil Hartis at CITB
10.30 to 11.00 T-Levels and Reformed Apprenticeships overview, Robert Nitsch Chief Operating Officer at Institute for Apprenticeships
11.00 to 11.15 Tea and Coffee
11.15 to 11.45 T-Levels Wave 1 Construction, DfE
11.45 to 12.15 Workshop
12.15 to 12.30 Feedback of main issues
12:30 to 13.00 Panel Discussion on main issues
13.00 to 13.50 Lunch and networking
13.50 to 14.05 Membership matters, David Wilkins
14.05 to 15.20 Inspections, Chris Bealey
Ofsted and Estyn Policy Overview
15.20 to 15.30 Closing remarks and reflections by Bob Howlett and Dave Wilkins.
Optional Overnight accommodation
Rooms are single occupancy and include breakfast.
£129 but SAVE £20 by booking before 22 Oct*
Premier Inn Birmingham Central (East)
Richard Street, Aston, Waterlinks, Birmingham, B7 4AA
Google maps show the hotel 5 minutes walk or a 2 minutes drive from our venue. Parking is chargeable at the hotel at (today’s prices) £4 for 24 hours, so please consider walking to the venue. We do not have parking at the venue.
* Book accommodation before 22 October for our best rate of £109, bookings on or after 22 October will be charged at £129. Bookings made after 5 November or after our allocation has been sold are dependent on the hotel’s rate at the time.
Development Day terms:
Up to 28 days before arrival no charge will be made.
Between 14 and 27 days before arrival, 50% of the appropriate price will be charged.
Within 14 days or the event, full fees will be charged.
Hotel accommodation terms:
Non-refundable at any time. This is due to the commitment BACH has made to the hotel.
Please, will those members who book a free place let us know if they are unable to attend, as BACH has to pay in full for all confirmed bookings as at 13 November. Please give us as much notice as possible so we have a reasonable opportunity to re-allocate your place.
All bookings must be made on our online booking system
If you any queries, difficulties or suggestions please email firstname.lastname@example.org or 07539 143184
You do not pay when booking, we will invoice the college
The invoice can be paid by BACS or you can pay by card using the ‘Pay online’ link on the invoice. The link is secure and run by Worldpay so BACH does not hold or see your card details.
Ian Billyard has decided to retire from the role of Principal at Leeds College of Building in Dec. As a Past President of BACH and a Member of BACH’s NEC and Finance & Membership Committee, we all wish him success in whatever he decided to do.
This is a reminder to all BACH NEC Wednesday 20 June 2018, South and Central College, Birmingham
We have accommodation held for Tuesday night, which will be bookable on the www.bach.ac.uk shortly. It really assist us if everyone could book online, that way we can run hotel booking lists with one click. If not, we are exporting them to Excel and adding those booking made by email.
Rooms are available at the Hampton by Hilton in the centre of Birmingham. See Hampton by Hilton, Birmingham website
The meeting kis kindly hosted by our Chair Bob Howlett at South & City College Birmingham See Bordesley Green Campus
Wednesday 21 November 2018 is the BACH Autumn Development Day CPD in the West Midlands.
NEC has decided that for every fully paid up member organisation they will issue 1 free place and another at a discounted rate. These places are to be used by Named members.
HOLD THE DATE – you would not want to miss this event.
The event will cover the main subjects that create challenges for members. This is your opportunity to suggest presenters and subjects. Please, email them to email@example.com.
In contrast to the Spring Conference, many of the presenters will be BACH members, sharing their practical experience of meeting the challenges facing everyone heading up a Team of Lecturers teaching Construction today. Never has the need been greater for quality trained UK construction workers. The Government has a raft of policies aimed at tackling the shortages today and the expected increase in the requirement of UK construction workers after Brexit. With major construction projects at a level never seen in the UK, BACH Members are 1 of the keys to successful completion of these. The mix of new build includes Hickley Power Station, Aykon London One, Angel Meadows Manchester and Chelsea Football Stadium to name but a few. The refurbishment of Shopping Centres, Railway Stations to the really massive modernisation of The Big Ben and Palace of Westminster and Buckingham Place. Road and rail projects include HS2 and the building of the £1.5B A14/A1 road improvement. For more information see 10 Construction Projects to watch.
However, the above are not the only challenges to those recruiting construction workers in the UK. The house building programme is failing to meet the demand year after year, and many construction workers will start their career in this sector after completing a successful apprenticeship, most taught in Colleges that are BACH members.
If you Head up a Team of people teaching construction, then put Wed 21 Nov 2018 on your calendar now. Need more information or to join firstname.lastname@example.org
Tony Ellender from Balfour Beatty gave BACH members an overview of Trailblazers and his strongly felt view of the way they were being implemented/
With changes happening to work placements and work experience, Bach’s members require quick access the details. Following presentations and discussions on these subjects at the recent March 2108, BACH National Annual Conference the attached document assist members remaining a group of the Best Informed Construction Heads in England and Wales.
In these exciting times for those involved with the Construction of HS2 and then HS3 the opening of the National College for High Speed Rail with its Construction Centre, BACH members who pride themselves on being the Best Informed Construction Heads in England and Wales, welcomed the opportunity to visit the college.
Technical Education Work Placements, an important briefing by the Institute for Employment Studies presented at the BACH National Annual Conference